Monday, January 31, 2011

"It's in the Blood"

    I was never given a middle name, but sometimes I do believe that it should of been "Competitor".  Although I can remember quite a few times being referred to as, "Sore Loser".

   Sunday ended our great week with a stop by our dear friend Grace's 4th birthday party.  Birthday parties are always a blast to our family.  Just another reason to get out of the house, and have some free fun with other kids.  Plus I always have a good time with my friends Rachel and Kimmy.  I still can't believe that we use to go to school together, and now we're meeting up for birthday parties, and play dates.  Wow, how time flies.
    
    Gavin seemed to be the life of the party.  He always has crazy, smart remarks that seem to get the men in the house cracking up with laughter.  One of the highlights of this day had to of been Musical Chairs.  Gavin got a kick out of it.  He loved the fact that he could beat every other kid to a chair when the tunes stopped. 

    My 'little diva' didn't quite get the concept of this particular game, and after round three she found herself spinning in circles looking for a chair.  When she noticed there were no more seats...
    She had a little meltdown.   She began to cry and stomp her shiny, sliver ballet shoes across the living room to sit in the chair next to me.  She then felt the need to loudly announce, "THAT GAME IS SOOOO BORING, ANYWAYS!"  (Of course this reminded me of my childhood.)  I, somewhat, understood where she was coming from.  Being brought up in a competitive family, myself, I always HATED to loose!  I can  even recall a meltdown, or two.
  But as a mommy, and guest at the party, I explained to her that everyone gets a turn at winning, and it's okay to lose sometimes.  It was at that very moment that a young boy named Noah had forfeited his seat, and decided that he didn't want to play.  He'd rather sit with his mother and watch the kids.  So the 'musical chair organizer' gave Adrianna her 1UP!  And she was invited back into the game, to take little Noah's spot.
   She immediately jumped at the chance.  She ran back to the game with such excitement and a loud, "YES! I LOVE THIS GAME!"

    The tune of 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' started the next round of this  exciting sport.  And Adrianna led the other children around the chairs.  Her face was gleaming with excitement and a little anticipation.  She got around them cute kiddy chairs twice when the music stopped...
    Everyone ran for a chair, including my SEVEN year old son who dashed so quickly to his chair that it completely flipped backwards.  We all began to laugh, and he shouted, "I got it!....I told you guys I was gonna win another round!"  All the other children looked around to see who didn't get a chair.  And, low and behold, it was my little diva.

    She puckered her lip, and, once again, stomped her way to the seat next to me.  What luck.  I didn't think it was even possible to lose two rounds in a row.  She crossed her arms, as I held in my laughter, and said, "I wish we could just move on to the pinata already!"

    The final round of musical chairs included my 'trash talking' seven year old, and another little blonde boy who still had no real clue of what this game was all about.  Before the round had even started I gave my son 'THE LOOK' and mouthed to him 'Don't Push Him'.  When the music started he began to dance Egyptian style around the single chair.  The other little guy had to be guided in the right direction.  Then the music came to an abrupt halt.
  Gavin bolted to the chair and sat.  He threw his arms in the air and yelled in excitement, "BOO-YAH BABY!....I GOT IT!...I KNEW IT!"  Then he pointed to the older guys in the room and said, "See? I told you guys that I was gonna win!" "YES!"
   The other boy still stood there with his finger in his mouth, he hadn't had a clue of what was going on.

   It was then that I said, sarcastically, "Well, congratulations Gavin!  You beat a bunch of three and four year olds!"  He shrugged his shoulders and agreed, "I knew I was gonna win....What's my prize?!" <3







      
   

No comments:

Post a Comment


Photobucket