Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

As I sit in silence, for once, my mind ponders to a subject that seems to come up in conversation every time I meet someone new.  "So, Do you work?"...Ugh.  The million dollar question.  On paper, no, I don't collect any legal tender for my 'job'.  But, really, I do consider what I do on a daily basis to be somewhat of a job.

So what is my job title?  The tax preparer referred to me as "home maker", but that title always has me picturing myself as Mrs. Cleaver.  Is it because I'm not bringing home the almighty dollar, that I feel as though people see me as, nothing more than a stay-at-home wifey?

   When we had our first child, I couldn't bear the idea of leaving him with anyone else.  I had seen too many hidden camera nanny videos on TV to scare me out of that idea.  Not only that, I also couldn't live with the fact that I would only see my child for about 3 hours before I was to tuck him, so peacefully, into bed, and begin the next day all over again.  So, together, my significant other and I decided that I would stay home and care for my own child.

   This mommy job is not as easy as Mrs. Cleaver made it seem to be.  I find myself ready to lock myself in the closet, from time to time, as Charlotte did in the famous Sex and the City 2 scene.  There is no manual to go by.  And I can't just leave it all behind after 5 o'clock.

         My Life begins every morning at 7 a.m.

  • Get showers warm and ready.
  • Lay out set of clothing for 2 kids.
  • Prepare Breakfast.
  • Brush their hair
  • Get Gavin's Lunch Made.
  • Bring in the laundry from the garage.
  • Transfer money in the bank account for my hubby overseas.
  • Clean up after Breakfast.
  • Remind my kids to brush their teeth, pick up laundry, and turn off all the lights upstairs.
  • Feed & Let the dogs out.
  • See Gavin off to school.
  • Prepare for gym.
  • Prepare Adrianna's gym bag.
  • Pick up kid's laundry and turn off all the lights upstairs.
  • Run for 6-7 miles.
  • On my way home pick up milk, eggs, and bread.
  • Fix Adrianna her lunch.
  • Shower the funk away.
  • Vacuum Dog Hair!!
  • Clean the Kitchen again.
  • Prepare dinner Menu.
  • Check email for hubby's updates.
  • Pick up Gavin from school.
  • Help w/ Homework.
  • Prepare Dinner
  • Clean Kitchen Again!
  • Family Time
  • Read Bedtime Stories.
  • Say Goodnight!
       My night usually turns to silence around 8:30 p.m.  This gives me time to check up on emails, and prepare for the next day.  So "Do you work?"........

        Let's just say, I'm a:  Butler, Maid, Chef, Hair Dresser, Styling Assistant, accountant, pet groomer, babysitter, athlete, errand runner, dry cleaner,care giver, secretary, chauffeur, and 'Giver of Life'.  But to my kids I'm known as....just mom. phew. What a day. <3

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!!! Being a full time mommy is definitely a job in itself, especially when daddy is away.

    ReplyDelete


Photobucket