Friday, April 29, 2011

Sappy Memories...

    I'm feeling a little nostalgic tonight...(*note to my future kids: If your girlfriend/boyfriend in high school says they want to pass on prom because it is overrated...TAKE THEM TO PROM ANYWAY!!)


(Insert Head Here:)
   
    Another Disney movie has been scratched off the list.  And because the mister has been gone for quite a while, my weekends consist of kid movies.  And this weeks pick was no different.  Although I thought my children would opt for the new 3D cartoon movie, they shocked me when they said they wanted to see the new Disney movie 'PROM'.  It came as a shock because both of my kids are still in single digits of age.  Of course my baby girl wanted to see it the most.  She is my 'little diva', and she is really into fashion.  And her face glowed when she saw the dresses the teens were wearing in this movie.  Sometimes I believe she is growing a little faster in her head than in her body.  And I never thought my tough manly son would ever want to see a chick flick.  But it was the first time that he said he wanted Adrianna to pick the movie!  The movie was cute, and girly but it had me thinking of my high school sweetheart...the mister!
    And I wasn't thinking about missing him...I was thinking more about the insane reason he never took me to prom.  Of course we began getting a little closer around spring time of our junior year.  And although we both had feelings for each other, he had already asked another girl to the prom.  So, as tough and nonchalant as I was, I just brushed it off my shoulder and waited until he called me after prom...which he did.  And because the girl was from a different school, I didn't have to worry about running into her after the occasion.  And the crazy part was...our first outside date, the first time he was introduced to my mother, was on this very day.  The day I went around town, running errands, and helping him get ready for an occasion that I would never get to experience with him.  But, I must say, it was one of my favorite days with him.
   The following year we were still a couple.  And we were SENIORS!  And at the beginning of the year, I just knew that we would make this prom better than the previous year.  But the talk of prom was very little.  It seemed that most of our friends were not even attending.  And when the time came, he looked at me and said..."do you really want to go?"  And at that point it didn't seem that exciting.  It was a little expensive, and we always had more fun cuddling at home.  So, we decided to pass on the prom, and eat in.  I never really minded.  Nothing new really happened.  But it wasn't until my little girl started asking questions about prom, that I really started regretting the whole situation.
    It started with a simple question..."Mom, when you were little...did you go to prom?"  I, then, decided to bust out the old photos.  And my favorite picture of the mister when we were teens was his prom picture. (The solo one...that is.)  He looked so handsome and well put in his suit.  And my daughter's eyes gleamed when she saw her daddy dressed so nicely in front of the starry, cloudy canvas background.  Then I decided to tell her that he didn't take me to the prom.  "Awww...why didn't he take you to prom?" she said with her lip all puckered pink.  "Because he took another blond girl instead!"  I said with disgust.  "Well if I ever see her...I'm gonna pull her hair out!" she exclaimed waving her tiny little rounded fist in the air.  She always seems to put a smile on my face...because she seems to grow more and more like me everyday!


   Afterwards, she looks to me and says, "when I get bigger, we can go to prom together."  And at that point I smile and grab my tiny tape recorder and say...."Can you repeat those words one more time, straight into the microphone?!?" <3

No comments:

Post a Comment


Photobucket